welcome to unCODitional (sic)
Why unCODitional? It reflects my feeling of being liberated in tweb development today. Liberated by the unparalleled compartmentalizing of the key resources we draw upon. We can pull out one DBMS and plug in another, without the customers’ knowledge with surprising ease. We can retool our skills entirely within just a few weeks. And, of course, we can go from expensive server rooms, to cloud computing (and/or back again!).
And, by contrast, many of us grew up with GOTO, IF THEN, and other basic control statements where databases (if they existed at all), UI and code all ran in a one-size-doesn’t-fit-all application.
By contrast, in this new paradigm:
- programming becomes micro-code;
- both back-end and front-end components may be running anywhere in the world;
- UX takes a fraction of the code to make vast customizations;
- In terms of the cloud, network and Computer Rooms have become infrastructure-through-code; and
- databases are increasingly ORM-managed.
I look forward to sharing, both in this space and on the road, some of the fun I have in this part of the journey and to invite your comments/insights to paint a fuller picture of it.
Hope you enjoy it half as much as I do.